Who hasn't heard of the upcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton? In most countries around the world, a picture of the lovely couple announcing their engagement was found in your local newspaper. So what has that got to do with tourism I hear you say....
Well quite a lot actually! The week of the royal wedding, hotel bookings and prices have risen significantly! Coincidence, I think not! It seems a lot of people want to witness this historical event, much like the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, it will also take place at Westminster Abbey in the heart of the capital. The neighbouring countries seem to be very excited and more royalist than expected, as many reservations come from abroad. Although the French don't seem to be into it... no need to ask why!
So while the European continent seems to be coming to London, many British seem to be booking a holiday away during that week. Maybe they are trying to escape the hype and madness of it all or is it because they want to take advantage of the extra bank holiday that has been granted on the 29th April. This being said, I am sure there will be a lot of British in the crowd or even watching the event on TV. Will it manage to top the phenomenal 750 million global viewers that tuned in to watch the wedding of William's parents, Charles and Diana in 1981?
The impact of the wedding on the British economy is said to be quite major. It is not only the hotels that have seen an increase in the amounts of booking but it looks like people want to get souvenirs like mugs and plates with a picture of the happy couple! It has been estimated that about £18 million will be generated from the sale of merchandise!
So thanks to William and Kate, Great Britain has got a little boost in their economy!! Although, they have promised that with the current economic situation they will be mindful with the amount spent on the day. I, personally, will watch it on TV or maybe even take a trip to my family in Britain to soak up the atmosphere and maybe even a street party or two... I love to see a beautiful wedding and I want to see the lovely dress she will be wearing... I hope there is no famous British downpour to dampen the spirits!!

No comments:
Post a Comment